Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Reading Response Chapter 3 and 4

As far as chapter 3 goes, I did not enjoy most of the examples that were given for "good" long sentences.  The Virginia Woolf sample was the only one where I could really get into the rhythm of it.  I know that Jane Austen's was supposed to be read aloud, but it was so long that I kept having to reread the previous line every so often.    I was getting lost in the words as well as having my mind wander when it is supposed to be concentrating. .  I did not enjoy it.  I do like the notion that each sentence is to lead into the next, keeping the story going, and the reader right along with it.  That is a good rule of thumb to keep when writing prose.  Otherwise you have the potential to have alot of fodder.  I did like the Huck Finn example, but I have loved Twain's stories every since a little girl.
Chapter 4 was short,  but the jest was to not use any rule of thumb as far as repetition is concerned.  Structured repetition can show emphasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment