Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reading Response A Good Man is Hard to Find

I am trying to figure out why I didn't like this story as much as I usually like our readings.  Maybe its because I do not believe that "The Misfit" went to jail for something he doesn't even remember.  I feel that is what lost its credibility to me. If someone goes to jail, they are probably going to remember what they did that put them in prison.  However, the more I think of the Old woman, the more I feel closer to the story, and how my own morbidity would end up writing a similar story.  Usually I determine if I like a story, or poem, etc if it can meet one of the following criteria:
1.  If there is something cryptic, am I willing to read it again?
2.  Do I immediately want to tell someone about what I just read, and then write something.
3.  Do I think about the story in complete silence, rehashing everything I remember about it, playing the scenes over and over in my head?

Usually, if I do one of those three things, I like a story.  I wanted to want to try and read this short again, but I didn't really want to.   NOW AN HOUR HAS PASSED AND I RETURNED TO THIS POST.  This short has left an impression on me, because I keep thinking of the old lady sitting in the back in between her 2 grandchildren and her ungrateful agitated son Bailey.

No comments:

Post a Comment