Monday, February 14, 2011

Reading Response week 3 Chapter 3 Voice

Respect 1967 by Ai was a fun read for me. I usually tend to gravitate towards the sarcastic and for me her own voice is in there with some definite sarcasm.  Taking on the voice of another, especially if it is the total opposite of the speaker seems to be challenging.  That being said, the best way to improve at anything is to get out of a comfort zone. I am anxious to take on a voice opposite of mine since I feel it requires empathy as well as concise attention to detail. As far as the aleatory method goes, it is hard for me to imagine enjoying a poem with no narrative sense, but after several re-reads of Tender Buttons, I slowly began to like the way it sounds when read aloud.  I am also a bit confused with this whimsical, nonsensical randomness.  What is the difference between this embraced approach and a real abstract poem?  Is it the fact that Gertrude Stein's,  Tender Buttons, is to be read knowing there is no meaning and an abstract poem has an assumed meaning?

No comments:

Post a Comment